Education and counseling for students with Autism and Asperger syndrome
The training course is addressed to teachers of kindergarten and primary schools with the aim of promoting educational skills of a general nature. Being teachers of children with disabilities, especially children with Pervasive Developmental Disorder, it can request to be supported by specialists on educational procedures and it can be fundamental to receive information on the psychological functioning in pupils.
But it is more than this: to seize educational techniques requires teachers to recognize and manage their own emotional states, to reflect about situations that can help maintain behaviours and/or pupil difficulties.
In order to achieve this awareness, the teacher should be gradually led to work on him/herself, to face the difficulties that can support him/her in searching for a new balance in the classroom, in the relationship with the disabled students well as with the family, for an inclusive teaching and education.
Educational inclusion is seen as the global policy prescribing development towards a regular school that welcomes all students with their unique individual characteristics, interests, abilities and learning needs, all children with special educational needs and disabilities like autism and Asperger syndrome.
The opportunity to attend this training path within a group of teachers sharing the same experiences, allows the teacher to fell supported, understood, addressed in his/her functioning.
1)Content Training in classes
- to give knowledge and basic competencies about autism and psychiatric disabilities
- to offer a framework about ways of intervention and relationship strategies, especially focused on relationship and emotional listening
- to focus on emotional listening and relationship with psychic disable person
- to spread basic knowledge about relationship with the autistic and/or psychic disabled pupils
- to develop skills and competences of teachers to design effective educational tools to meet the needs of students and to go towards educational inclusion in school
- to know the characteristics of an inclusive school
- to know the techniques for optimistic management of the class
- to know the inclusive education and pedagogy
- to know how to facilitate communication processes and develop emotional competence in pupils and parents
- to learn how to grow the school motivation and self-esteem in pupils and parents
- to learn the techniques of family counseling
2) Practical Training
- Theoretical references about autism
- The IPADD (Integrated Project Autism and Developmental Disabilities) and autism
- The discovery of the world of the person with autism or Asperger syndrome: how he/she thinks and how he/she feels
- The importance of emotional listening
- The relationship dealing with autism
- Testing of ICF-CY classification (International Classification of Functioning, Disability and Health, WHO) in the construction of a pupil’s educational functioning profile
- Operative-learning functioning according to ICF
- The ICF-CY: an introductory framework
- The ICF classification: physical conditions, bodily functions, body structures, personal activities, social participation, environmental contextual factors, personal contextual factors
- How to use the ICF-CY
- Good practices or the use of the ICF-CY
- The threshold between normal and problematic functioning
- The evolutionary containment
- The activation of resources for inclusion from the perspective of the “Special normality”
- The sequence of activation of resources for inclusion: the 14 categories.
- Positive classroom climate: multi sensorial approach
- Techniques of learning-teaching
- The strategic collaboration with the teacher of support
- Principles of inclusive pedagogy
- Methodological, didactical and emotional implications
- Interactive Whiteboard: strengths and weaknesses
- Active listening and sharing problems with pupils and parents
- Techniques and strategies for reduction of the levels of conflict and stress and to increase team working, trade relations and sharing emotional experiences between students and parents
- Tools to develop within the students the ability to think, recognize and to put into words the emotions underlying the painful experiences: multi sensory-approach
- Analysis and discussion of cases
- Making a lesson with interactive whiteboard, creation of a digital book and realization of conceptual maps to study
- Visit to rehabilitation center for autism “Il Cireneo”.
- Meeting with Director and teachers of a kindergarten and/or primary school; focus on techniques used in the teaching of autistic students and on the use of techniques of family and social counselling
- Socialization games with active mediation and listening techniques for teachers and pupils
- Workshop and role-plays
Dr Tatiana D’Ambrogio
: neuropsychiatric of children, psycotherapist of developmental age, medical sanitary responsible of rehabilitation centre for Autistic people “Il Cireneo
”, responsible of EU project “Start Autismo
Dr Luigi Intoccia
, psychiatrist, neurologist and psychotherapist.
Dr Fulvia Cetrullo
, pedagogist and educator.
Other activities provided
Duration*: 42 hrs
- The last day of the course includes evaluation of the course, awarding of Certificates of Participation (2 hrs) during a typical Italian aperitif offered by Polaris.
- The program provides also cultural activities as visits to the city and surrounding area to discover the art, traditions, history, nature, typical foods, wine and culinary products of the area.
- Free support in reservation phase for the transfer from the airports to Vasto and in research of a comfortable and suitable accommodation is provided based on the participants needs and at Polaris’ sole and absolute discretion.
(in class and practical training), 6 days
from Monday to Saturday (excluded travel days).
- 420 € +70 € (registration fee) per person
- for groups of 3 or more people from the same sending organisation (consortium/school) discounts on registration fee apply
– The course would be immediately confirmed with a group of 6 registered participants or more.
– With groups of 6 or more participants the course dates and the duration could be arranged with the applicant (please note fee would vary depending on the duration).
– With registration of less than 6 participants of the same group the confirmation of the course would be notified 3 months before the starting date or 2 months before when registration occurs less than 3 months before.